Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday 24 November 2012

Don't Try this at Home

Well you can try it at home of course but if, like me, you are trying to produce a batch of QUICK and EASY Christmas cards - this is NOT the design to choose!
It took me a whole day to think of all the elements I wanted to use and to work out how to cut the card bases.  Cutting the bases using this lovely Marianne Lantern was the most difficult part (although not the fiddliest one).   The trick is to fold the base so that it just fits inside the rectangular cutting edge of the body of the lantern die and then to put only the finial  through the die cutting machine so as not to cut out the door from the card.
The die wouldn't cut all the way through a folded card and so I had to open it up and cut it twice and then the "arms" (the bits sticking out the sides of the die) kept cutting through my front.  That was the point at which I should have abandoned the project.
But I didn't.  I simply added some shims between the die arms and my card front.
I have been very inspired by Kittie's use of the MS branch punch (amongst other elements) to make great  bunches of fresh foliage.  You can see some examples of her work here and here. She is a marvel at "fiddly" and I just love her finished projects. I cut just 6 branches and three holly leaves for my card. Not nearly as many as Kittie uses.  The holly is teeny tiny from a corner punch I have.  I inked the edges of the branches, coloured half of each holly leaf and scored them down the centre.
My tag is made using two parts of a solid PTI die, one for the top and a red one only just visible beneath it  and I stamped it with a PTI christmas tree and sentiment. I think it's a really cute tag.
My candle is cut with my Cricut and coloured with Copics. The flame is Cricut-cut separately and also coloured and I chopped some petals off a punched flower to fill in the hole at the back of the flame.
I highlighted a circle of colour on my background DP to mimic the glow of the candle and started to assemble my card, having cut a whole lantern in gold to front the card base. A bow on the top and a pearl for a handle were the final touches.  And then I started cutting things in bulk to make more of them.  This is my work space.  The remainder of my desk is piled with stuff that has been scooched to one side to give me room to work.
I made 12 in total and I think they look so pretty all in a row that perhaps I won't mail any!!!

I am entering my card into the following challenges:
Aud Sentiments has a Bingo challenge and I used the first column of "the word 'merry', a 3D item (my whole card is 3D but there are lots of bits sticking out too, the branches and the tag for instance) and ribbon."; 
Stampin for the Weekend who want to see "texture" - of which there is a lot on my lantern;
Totally Gorjuss where the theme is "Don't be Square"; and
Marianne's Design where the challenge is "Gentlemen's Hour".  This card  would work for a girl of course but it certainly works better for a guy than most of my cutesy makes.

24 comments:

Jules said...

Hi Lesley

What a brilliant card .. .. and now you have twelve of them!!! Woo hoo!!

You must be well chuffed - just as all the lucky recipients will be when they drop through their letterbox!

Hope you are having a lovely weekend.

Love Jules xx

Mrs A. said...

Outstanding. Well done for persevering . I nearly gave up just reading about it!! They look really effective. Hugs mrs a.

Donna Mosley said...

Ooh! Lesley, they are absolutely stunning.

Donna x

Dena said...

I am speechless!!!!!!!!! These are soooo gorgeous!!! Wow! What an amazing project Lesley! I'm sure they were a lot of work, but oh so pretty!!!!
Hugs, Dena

Jane said...

Holy Moley Lesley these cards are fantastic. Well done for sticking with it - you're a very talented lady!
Hugs
Jane

debby4000 said...

Oh these are fabulous and by the sound of it I would have given up but they were well worth making.
luv
Debby

coops said...

oh wow these are fantastic lesley.i love the stunning shape and gorgeous traditional colours ;D

xx coops xx

Annie said...

Fabulous cards Lesley, and so worth all your efforts!
hugs, annie x

Deb said...

oh wow, that is a complicated design to create in multiples, they do look amazing though!
Debxx

Turtle In The Sand said...

Good Golly Miss Molly, I mean Lesley! These are fabulous, stunning, unbelievable. Do not give them away! They will look perfect in any nook where you need a bit of sunshine. Gorgeous and soooooo much work. But now if you feel totally selfish and feel the need to share with someone who would love you forever...........

Céline said...

Oh MY lesley!!!!! what a wonderful, amazing, fab work ! i admire that!
hugs
céline

Faye said...

What a labour of love. But so worth it. They look fantastic in the singular, but the row of them... Wow. Dandily gorgeous. X

Shelby said...

This turned out so gorgeous and I love all of the different Christmas elements you've used. So creative and awesome

Shelby

Wishcraft said...

They're fabulous Lesley - you must be very very patient indeed! Hugs, Lisa x

Kittie said...

Lesley, YOur lantern card is absolutely stunning. I love it. Your pine foliage is perfect and I ove how you attached your tag there. I would probably slit my wrists if I made so many of one card. 12 Yikes! You did a fantastic job. Your family and friends will be thrilled to receive them.

Mummylade said...

really like the shape of the card. Thank you so much for playing along with us at Stampin for the Weekend and good luck in the challenge!

Julie said...

Absolutely stunning cards, Lesley - saw them in the flesh too and I think they were even more awesome!! Your patience never fails to amaze me! Hugs, Juliexx

mixamatoasties said...

This is fab! Love it.

Susan x

Suzanne B aka brookfies said...

Stunning ...perfect for the season! Thank you for entering the Marianne Design gentlemen's challenge this month. Suzanne xx

Anonymous said...

Very pretty and a great way to use the die, nicely done
Hugs julie P

Blankina said...

Hi Lesley, what a great use of the MD lantern die, your cards look fantastic and certainly also suitable for a man..

Thanks for joining the Marianne Design Diva's monthly challenge!
See you soon,

Hugs Blankina DT MDD

Helen said...

Great cards, thank you for sharing with us at Aud Sentiments for our Bingo challenge.

Hugs Helen DT xx

Carol said...

Well worth the effort though, they're gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at Aud Sentiments this time. Carol DT x

Janiel/ janny said...

just let me say WOW!!! These are really beautiful my friend...

Tons of work and very beautiful!!
big hugs.........